Tuesday 26 July 2011

TALL SHIPS IN THE SHETLAND ISLANDS


I have just returned from the very lovely Shetland Islands where I was shooting the start of the second leg of the 2011 Tall Ships Races. The rugged coastline of these fabulous islands provided the perfect backdrop to these magnificent sailing vessels, and the weather - windy, stormy and foggy, was absolutely perfect - for me anyway! The adverse conditions meant that the race start was delayed by 24 hours - a good excuse to get on board the boats, chat to the crews, and of course try out the local pubs and restaurants in the northern most town in the UK. When things finally got going it was well worth waiting for, and while the sports photographers I met were all understandably moaning about the conditions, things couldn't have been better for me!. I shall be adding new photographs from the trip on the website soon - there will also be an article and photos in the November edition of Black and White Photography Magazine.

1 comment:

Malcolm Garth said...

These images are stunning! We don't see many of these vessels where I but they certainly evoke a sense of timelessness...