Friday 3 December 2010

ACQUA ALTA AND OTHER STORIES FROM VENICE


I'm in Venice again, the 9th time in 4 years, this time to concentrate on shooting the 'Acqua Alta, the famous, or rather infamous tidal condition that floods the central parts of the beautiful and iconic city. I left my room at the hotel just off St Mark's Square just before dawn this morning to be confronted by a reception area flooded with a foot of canal water, and the rather surreal sight of the reception staff matter-of-factly going about their business in black wellies, sloshing up and down fetching keys and attending to their guests. The square itself was flooded with over 2 feet of water, and made for a very spectacular sight. I took this photograph of San Giorgio from in front of the Doges Palace. At breakfast later the restaurant too was flooded but this small detail did not deter the staff of the hotel who sat me and my sodden wellies down at a table with a great view and proceeded to serve me a hearty meal - in 8 inches of water........

1 comment:

Chris Smith said...

How jealous I am!!!! While you were coping with the water,I was getting over digging my car out of the snow. I'll make it to Venice one day. have fun.